Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Loot from Heroescon 09!


some of this stuff I paid for some of this stuff I traded for my first printing of Real Cane Sugar, either way it's all great and I've gone through many of them already (but there's a lot to go through still).

the book I read from this group was Josh Latta's Redskin Rashy. This is the fifth book in Latta's ongoing series of Rashy titles which are part real life stories part cartoons. I met Latta last year when I didn't have my own comic to show off to folks but he was real nice and even gave me one of his books free after I bought two of them. This year he also introduced me to a rather fun podcast called Keith and the Girl as well as Adam Carolla's awesome podcast. What I like about Josh's books is that with each issue his art seems to change and with it the story telling sort of does as well, It's as if he's always evolving or looking to find the style that suits his needs the best and I respect him for it. I told him that I expect his next rashy book to have just as much evolution as the last one did.

I also read Drew Weing's Blar (not pictured since my bro is borrowing it) which was HILARIOUS! and the craftsmanship in the inking was INSANE! go buy everything this guy and his partner Eleanor Davis make! because Beast Mother was also amazing and my bro is borrowing that as well.

When I got home I read all the way through Evan Dahm's Rice Boy which I'm not even going to comment on just go buy it. Everyone in the western world should buy this book, this is what fantasy should be. The color is gorgeous and the world is imaginative to a point that you'll want to never make a comic book out of sheer embarrassment because you know in your heart of hearts you'll never make a comic this good ever in your life.

Sally Bloodbath's book Girls Don't Make Passes at Boys with Mustaches is wonderful with art that I find mega endearing and each panel is wonderful to look at. my favorite true life story involved one of her two cats and a bird that flew into her house.

America's own Sam Spina made a mini just for the convention called Hoodle Origins. It's a cute book about a young Alien living in Texas who want's to know where the hell he's really from. I found out about Spina when I found a collection of Journal Comics he did for sale at Acme Comics and Records in Downtown Columbia. He's a super nice guy and he didn't even punch me for falling asleep during a panel I went with him to.

Only Skin by Sean Ford is excellent and I can't wait to read the rest of it. The Magazine Size of the Book is just a treat to hold and the story is very intriguing. I plan on buying the rest of it the next time I'm in a position to.

MK Reed's Cross Country was an excellent read and I was very pleased to have the chance to get it. The writing in this book is wonderful and you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't pick up more books from this cartoonist as soon as you can. I really frickin Enjoyed it! She also did a comic for an anthology by Adhouse which was awesome.

I had the chance to trade Real Cane Sugar for the first issue of PaperCutter featuring a short story by Aaron Renier who is awesome. His brush work will make your eyes water and your mouth drop. I plan on buying every single book in this awesome anthology series from TugBoat press. If you have a chance to get a hold of one of these books then take it! you won't regret it in the slightest!

WOOOOO!!! that took up a good afternoon! There may be some books I missed so expect to see this entry revisited once or twice. I love these comics so much and to all of those I met while I was at Heroescon in Charlotte good luck and thanks for reading!!

2 comments:

Sam Spina said...

Awesome man! thanks for the shout out! oh and speaking of podcasts, have you heard of Uhh Yeah Dude? it's super funny, you gotta check it out. Yeah i think i read all the books you're talking about, except i don't have rice boy. I should go order a copy. and Blar looks good too

Josh Latta said...

Thanks Pete!
I appreciate it!
Hey Sam above me, I read both your books and enjoyed them as well!
Blar is great, Drew makes me wanna give up drawing but in a good way.